How Do I Learn
I choose to do my project on ?How do I learn? because I related most to it. For all four years that I played collegiate basketball I had a difficult time with learning the game. Learning different offenses and defenses came hard for me. I could not understand why it was taking me longer to get plays down and it frustrated me and my coaches because if I did not understand the offense or plays I wasn?t going to be able to play. It wasn?t until I was a student assistant my 5th year during my undergraduate that I started to understand that every student-athlete learns the game differently and as a coach part of your job is to figure out how each individual learns and help them understand the game of basketball.
There are many ways to coach and teach the game of basketball and as a coach you need to be able to understand and use all those ways. I learn better by actually performing the plays and offenses. If I can do them then I can understand them. I could never learn a new offense from watching my coaches draw the play out on the black board or on a marker board. I needed to either see it or do it.
I want to find out what exactly are the ways that student-athletes learn the game and what ones most of them respond better to. I need to learn how to be able to coach student-athletes the variety of ways they learn also. The ways that I am already aware of are observing, walking through the offense, repetition (practice), film, and drawing the plays, defense, and offense out. As a coach I want to have something that I will be able to implement each year to find out what learning techniques the team that year would benefit most from. I also need to be able to teach using all of them.
1. PURPOSE: The purpose of this project is to see how the student-athletes on the UW-Stevens Point Women?s basketball team learns the offense, defense, and plays the best and most beneficial ways for our team to succeed. The purpose is to also learn different coaching strategies myself because every student-athlete learns differently. This is important to me because I wish someone would have taken the time to work with me and help me with how I learned the game best. The biggest barrier that I am going to face is that we are in the midst of our season and it might be hard to get the student-athletes too corporate with me.
2. RISK-TAKING: This project is going to be risk-taking because we have never discussed different ways to coach each individual. The biggest problem can be that there is not enough time to work with each student-athlete individually but that?s why I will be finding out how the majority of the student-athletes learn best. It takes me out of my comfort zone because it will be difficult for me to learn how to coach different ways for different student-athletes because it is also new to me.
3. MEANINGFULNESS: This project is meaningful to me because I relate to not knowing exactly the best way to learn the game of basketball and the best way to pick up on the offenses, defenses, and plays. I want to be able to help each student-athlete and by doing that I will help the success of our team. I first plan on giving them a questionnaire that asks them how they like to be coached and what ways to they learn best in basketball. This will show me what majority of them consider the best way for them to learn. I also want to teach them a play or offense in a variety of ways and then have them take an evaluation that will help me see what technique they enjoyed and understood the most. The coaching techniques will include film, walking through the plays and or offense, drawing them out, and simply observing. I want to see each of them run the play after I use one of the coaching techniques and see how well they perform the play as well as understanding the play.
4. LIFE BEYOUND THIS COURSE: There will be life beyond this course for this project because I am learning how to coach in different ways for different student-athlete. Not one student-athlete is the same and they each learn differently. I will be able to take what I learn with me no matter where I end up coaching after UW-Stevens Point. It is also going to change how I coach now because I am more comfortable coaching certain ways than others so this project will open my eyes to other ways but forcing me to practice them on my student-athletes.
5. PRODUCT: I will be able to use this project every season because every year we get a new group of girls that some here to play basketball so we have to continue to learn how they best learn the game of basketball. The questionnaire and evaluation on how they learn will benefit any coach. I also am just excited to learn and practice different coaching methods myself. Film is something that I have trouble with so I look forward to practicing that.
I will be reading ?Wooden: A lifetime of observations and reflections on and off the court? by John Wooden with Steve Jamison as a resource to my project.
PLACE AN ORDER WITH SIMILAR OR RELATED INSTRUCTIONS NOW.