Sociology Term Paper
Suppose you are a politician, who studied sociology, discuss how you would approach the following facts by answering the following questions.
? The difference between the mean household income of the top 5% and that of the other income groups are getting wider. (see Figure 8.3 on page 176)
? A median wealth of the top 1% is $14,770,000 while that of the bottom 40% is $2,000. (see Figure 8.4 on page 176)
? The Average CEO of a major corporation earns $12.4 million, including salary, bonus and other compensation such as exercised stock options. That’s $34,000 a day including Saturdays and Sundays. (see CEO compensation )
? Tom Cruise earns $75 million ($300,000 a day), Harrison Ford earns $65 million and NFL player, Tom Brady earns $27 million ($108,000 a day). (see Paywizard.org)
? 24.9% of the U.S. population earn less than $25,000 a year (see Figure 8.5 on page 178)
? About 3.5 million people are homeless in the U.S. today. (see page 192)
1. Discuss Functionalists� perspective on the income inequality stated above in your own words.
a) Why is social stratification necessary according to Functionalist perspective? Give some specific examples.
b) Why do some people earn much more income than others? Upward social mobility is possible according to Functionalism. Why? Give some specific examples.
2. Discuss Conflict Theorists� perspective on the income inequality stated above in your own words.
a) What are the origins of social stratification according to Conflict Theorists� perspective? Give some specific examples.
b) Why do some people earn much more income than others? Upward social mobility is limited according to Conflict Theory. Why? Give some specific examples.
3. Identify which of the following social aspects related to social stratification you think would be most crucial? Discuss why, identifying which perspective you used to frame your idea.
a) Decreasing the income gap between the rich and the poor.
b) Realizing the social stratification system solely based on one�s effort.
c) Raising the motivation for success among the poor.
d) Reducing the number of people who depend on welfare.
4. Present one specific social policy that you would introduce as a politician to improve the social aspect that you chose.
SOURCE: Andersen, M.S. & Taylor, .F. (2014) Sociology: Essentials, 8th Edition. Belmont, CA: Cengage Learning. ISBN: 978-1285431321
Write your full name and class number at the top of your report.
12 font Times New Roman style, double spaced.
Sociology Term Paper
Unlike most other websites we deliver what we promise;
- Our Support Staff are online 24/7
- Our Writers are available 24/7
- Most Urgent order is delivered with 6 Hrs
- 100% Original Assignment Plagiarism report can be sent to you upon request.
GET 15 % DISCOUNT TODAY use the discount code PAPER15 at the order form.